"Trading My Sorrows... for the Joy of the Lord" Philippians 4:4-9
This morning, as we remember the lives of those of our loved ones who have gone on to be with the Lord, we are once again reminded of "The Frailty and Uncertainty of Life: For All of Us Have Have Known and Experienced the Wounds of a Broken Heart."
I need not remind you... that Brokenness is the one common denominator that ties all our hearts and lives together. For it's inevitable, that when you live in a broken world, that things will get broken -- even hearts!
While the Fact of Brokenness is universal, the bible speaks to us of how we can
FIND HEALING, TO THE WOUNDS AND BROKENNESS OF LIFE.
For it is though the brokenness of life, that we are awakened to our need of God. In fact the Bible teaches us that God is closest to us while we are in the midst of our pain... whether we realize
it or not, and regardless of what your pain may be: Disappointment, Fear, Shame, Rejection, Ridicule, or even the DEATH of One That You Loved and Cherished.
It is through the Heart of David, that God tells us that " He Cares about the Hurt in your Life." In fact, He Cares so much, that "When You Hurt, He Hurts." David penned in Psalm 34:18 that,
“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (NIV).
Have you ever given thought to the fact that:
When you are Sick: You want a Doctor not a medical book or formula.
When you are Sued: You want a Lawyer not a law book.
When you are Building a Home: You want an architect not a home-improvement manual.
And, When you are Confronted with Brokenness of Life, you want One
Who Can Heal The Brokenness of Life and Restore Your Hope and
TURN YOUR SORROW INTO JOY.
In John 14:26 God promises the comfort of His love and compassion through the power and presence of His Holy Spirit. Listen to these beautiful words: John 14:26 Amplified Bible (AMP)
26 But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you.
And so, when the sorrow and pain of life comes your way, -- in the words of
Prov. 3:5 Message Translation: "We must not lean upon our own understanding but listen
for God’s voice in everything we do.”
In other words, you must feed your soul on God’s Word, and commune with Him through Prayer. By doing so, you will find comfort through God’s wonderful, marvelous, and amazing Grace knowing:
Psalm 30:5 (NASB95) 5 [God’s} favor is for a lifetime; Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning. And draw strength from God’s eternal promise
Revelation 21:4 (NASB95) 4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”
Psalm 16:11, KJV In thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. In other words, we Can Trade Our Sorrows For The Joy Of The Lord!
This morning, I want to remind you that Jesus came, not only take away your sins, --
His Ministry Of Redemption Acts 19:10 “Jesus said that he came to seek and to save that which is lost.”
Jesus also came to make you a whole person, to heal the brokenness of your life— His Ministry Of Reconciliation Luke 4:18-19 [v.18] The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, [v.19] To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
You see, Jesus came not only to bring forgiveness and redemption,
he came to make you a whole person.
And nowhere, will you find that more clear than in Philippians 4:4-9.
For in these verses, you will find God’s answer as to how to
Trade your Sorrows for the Joy of the Lord!
Philippians 4:4–9 (NIV) 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
1. Rejoice (4): we must accentuate the positive... begin to enjoy life... rather than being a sour saint. We must lighten up. Do you despair because roses have thorn / rejoice that thorn bushes have roses? –
Happiness is based upon situation and circumstance… Joy is a matter of the Heart
and comes out of our relationship with God.
2. Relax (5): your gentleness /A sweet reasonableness. Learn to live by grace rather than Righteous Indignation / Children of God... place your trust in Him Prov. 3:5-6
3. Rest in the Lord (7): Learn to trust God and place matters in his hand... Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness... and all these things will be added unto you. Matt. 6:24
4. Feed your Mind positive thoughts. (8) Look for the positive... refuse to dwell on the negative
5. Focus your attention on encouraging Models (9a) Paul said to Follow me in as much as I follow the Lord... seek out a mentor in life... Timothy had Paul... Barnabas was an encourager
6. Find the God of peace in every circumstance (9b) Determine to no longer carry the emotional baggage of days gone by... give them to God... He has forgiven you... now forgive yourself. Failure to do so... set you up above God! Are you Better than God?
Never forget that brokenness is common to us all… but Jesus came to make us whole and to "give us life and to give us life more abundantly" John 10:10 and "To Turn Your Sorrow in Joy."
Never forget that Jesus came to give you...
- Comfort in the midst of Crisis. Help in the midst of Hopelessness.
- Give you Peace in the midst of Perplexity. Solutions in the midst of Problems.
- Wealth in the midst of Poverty. Stability for your Stumbling.
- Victory for your Battles. Deliverance from your Defeats.
- Forgiveness for your Faults. Faith for your Fears,
- Light for your Darkness and Joy in your Sorrow!
So, let me encourage you to remember….
“Weeping May Endure For A Night But
Joy Comes In The Morning!”
I’d like to close with these beautiful words of Mother Theresa:
“In Silence we find Prayer. In Prayer we find Faith. In Faith we find Love.
In Love we find Service. And in Service we find Peace.”
“Isn’t it time to…
Trade your Sorrows, for the Joy of the Lord?”